Saturday, June 30, 2012

La La La La La La Bamberg

This morning Leslie dropped me off at train station on her way to school. At that point I wasn't 100% sure where I was going. I had a couple of day trip destinations in mind, but I settled on a small town called Bamberg. Bamberg is supposedly the "Venice of Germany." I arrived around lunch time and set off. At first I wasn't impressed.


It was nice, but nothing fancy. If I would have gotten a map I would have realized that I wasn't in the right part of town. I turned around and went in the opposite way of where I thought i should go I was a believer. Bamberg is fantastic. It could be my favorite town so far.


As I was walking I had to squelch my urge to sing. I felt like I was in Beauty and the Beast. It was really lovely.


There was water everywhere, and people used it just like streets. I walked for the better part of the afternoon and I saw churches with creepy underground crypts.


Castles and a theater that called to my dramatic flair. I wish could have seen a play or been in one there.


When it was time to head back to Augsburg I was feeling great about my day. It was fantastic. The Internet is broken at Leslie's so when my train stopped through Nuremberg I decided the best thing to do was get off. After all, I knew where there was a Starbucks. After talking to my parents and checking on some things from home I headed back to catch the train to Augsburg. Because I was on a day pass ticket I couldn't take a direct train. I had change trains after an hour. Unfortunately, I started talking to a really nice girl from Russia who wanted to practice her English and without thinking got off the train at the wrong stop. I was stuck in the middle of nowhere.



I took the bus from the small station to the larger station in town. When I got there I had 30 seconds before the train I needed to be on left.


I chased that sucker down those very tracks, but didn't make it. I was forced to sit and wait an hour before the next train was scheduled to arrive.


Really exciting times. All I wanted to do was watch the game. When the train got there I was excited to be on my way. It was a tad bit creepy though because the train was missing people.






Yep, I had the train to myself. It was just me and the guy punches the tickets. If he would have been a bit more friendly I would have entertained us with a musical number, but instead he was all business.
When I finally got back to where I needed to be the busses were no longer running. Thank heavens Leslie came looking for me or I would still be walking. I will say that it was definitely a dramatic way to end a decade.

Location:Bamberg, Germany

2 comments:

  1. Celeste!! You are hilarious!! I love everything about this day and how you never panicked and just figured it out as you went. You're so brave and just so much fun. And I love those blue pants so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture of you makes me so happy in so many ways. Number 1, you look so cute and I love love your colored jeans. Number 2, you have such great posture. And last but not least, you either A, had someone random take it or B, set it up as a self timer which makes me LOVE you so so much!
    You might be the bravest person I know.

    ReplyDelete