Monday, July 2, 2012

Thirty, flirty, and thriving.

I turned thirty on Friday. It was a birthday I have been dreading for a long time. Thirty is officially an adult. Thirty year olds get ready before they go places, are on time to said places, and generally have it all together. I do none of those things. Never the less, having a thirtieth birthday is better than not having one at all.

We went ahead and celebrated all weekend. After all, you only turn thirty once. I spent Friday resting and reading. It was fantastic. That evening we went to an Italian restaurant in Grossaitingen. I feel like all I have eaten since I've been here is pizza, and I love it.

Saturday we started the morning by going to the market in Augsburg. The fresh fruits and veggies were a delight for your senses.


There were precious stores where I wanted to buy one of everything. I didn't though because how would it fit in my backpack?

I had been doing a fantastic job not buying anything. But eventually I caved. I couldn't stand the pressure any more.


So I bought a dirndl. I have probably walked by 75 dirndl shops and resisted the temptation, but eventually the idea of skipping, singing, and twirling in a dirndl wore me down. Plus, it has pockets. Who doesn't love pockets on a dress?


I was so excited about it that I busted it out for dinner...in public...at a snazzy hip restaurant. Believe it. I'm sure you'll notice that you don't see anyone else in one, and you are absolutely right. I only broke into a nervous sweat about it like 14 times.


That being said, it is the traditional costume of Bavaria and people really do wear them everywhere. Watch out Texas, you never know when Im going to show up somewhere in it. Seriously. You can't hold me back. I'm thirty now.


Leslie got me some lovely flowers for my birthday that I just love. It's crazy how things just grow here. Everything is lush and beautiful. It is so peaceful. Speaking of peaceful, yesterday Leslie and I spent the day at the spa. It was amazing. I can't think of a time I was so relaxed and renewed.

When we got home I took advantage of the cool weather and headed out for a walk through the forest. I saw deer, hedgehogs, and tons of slugs just having fun being animals.


But on the way home I got to see a gaggle of gnomes. I had been a tiny bit disappointed by the lack of gnomes in their natural environment.


Luckily, I found this gang. Otherwise I would have never known that gnomes live in a peaceful environment with alligators, ducks, and frogs. This changes everything.

Tomorrow I am heading out to another burg. I am heading to Salzburg, Austria for a few days. I have spent the morning brushing up on all of my Sound of Music trivia so that I can be that annoying American reciting lines and songs from the movie. I can't wait!

Location:Augsburg, Germany

No comments:

Post a Comment