Sunday, July 8, 2012

Home again, home again, jiggity jig

When I started this journey it felt like I had an unbelievable amount of days ahead of me; however, the last thirty four days have flown by. I spent my last weekend in Germany relaxing and helping Leslie get a few projects done for school.

Leslie wanted to make a little something for her kids in her home room as an end of the year gift. We needed rubber cement which is almost impossible to find here. Luckily we were told about an art supply store in Augsburg called Boesner. It was unbelievable...and huge.


I wanted to touch everything. They literally had every color paint you could imagine. It was a true delight for my eyes.


I was "oohing" and "aahing" so much that the sweet worker brought me a free gift to take home. I was in hog heaven. If I actually was an artist I would have thrown up from excitement.


But then we had to get to work cutting the backings that we needed. Hans, the worker, was very helpful with the inches to centimeter conversions. I ran the cutting machine while he measured away in the back. As a side note, Hans had two incredible features. His mustache was one. I bet he spends longer on shaping it than I do getting ready in a week. It was very artsy for sure. The second feature would be his nails. He could have entered some kind of contest with those things. I can remember pretending that I had nails when I was little by putting paper clips on the ends of my fingers. Well his were longer than the paper clips. Not a feature you see on many men.


Add the mustache and nails to the large gold hoop earring in one ear and I would bet serious money that this guy rides a unicycle.

After we left Boesner, we went to a few other stores before heading home. The weather was nice and cool so I tried my hand a bike riding.


I was all smiles until I started running into fences. I went ahead and took the bike around the neighborhood. I was shakey at best. I'll go ahead and add this to the list of sports that I'm not good at. The best thing about it was the bell.

Today I headed into Munich. Nothing is open on Sundays in Germany so I just walked and walked. I saw a lot that I had already seen, but then I stumbled on a crazy shrine. Naturally, it was a shrine for Michael Jackson.





There were people paying serious tribute to ole MJ while I was there. Tears...dramatic hugging...the whole bit. I felt like a jerk but I could not stop laughing. Some of the personal messages to Michael were hilarious. But I have to say that my favorite part was the information boxes in a variety of languages.


It gave me the answers to all the question that I have been wanting to know about Michael. Four pages worth. It was so informative that I went ahead and stuck one in my purse. If you need to know why he underwent plastic surgery, why he dangled his son over the balcony in Berlin, did he ever use drugs, why was he in the Guinness Book of World Records, or any other question just let me know. I will pass on the information. It is hilarious!

It really has been such a fun trip. I have learned so much about the German culture but even more about myself. I have continually surprised myself by I handle different situations. Tomorrow morning I head home. I am ready. I can not wait to see my family, eat some Mexican food, understand what people are saying to me, and crawl into my own bed. Until next time...

Location:Munich,Germany

2 comments: